Wednesday 7 May 2014

Toni "Bowerbird" Arndt

The bowerbird (Ptilonorhynchus violaceus) is endemic to Australia and Papua New Guinea. It is known for its nest building and the male's extravagant courtship behaviour. Perhaps their strangest behavioural characteristic is that the males go crazy collecting blue things to arrange in extravagant patterns in their nest to attract females.

A bit like homo sapiens weddings really: something old and something new. Something borrowed. And all of it blue.

Since I've seen pictures of my new frame, I appear to have been reincarnated as a bowerbird.

A Pearl Grace with blue on it.

So. I have started collecting blue things to match the frame and the awesome collection of KBCK clothing. I have some of these coming in the mail:



Continental tyres with blue on them.

I have to choose between a bunch of bottles. I still have some from our previous Duells sponsorship (see here how the Duells sponsored  Conti Test Team is doing in their mission to ride Vätternrundan under 7 hours this year).

Blue bottles. (Not these ones: Physalia utriculus in case you wondered)

Or maybe the stunning new KBCK bottles?

The world's best bottle?
Right colour. But no, now something went wrong here and this has nothing to do with anything.

This is better, but you may wonder what a blue Chimay has got to do with my new bike, apart from being a blue, perfect afterbike beer? I'll get back to that later :-)

I'm going to look ridiculously, embarassingly professional on the road soon and am starting to be afraid my form has to live up to this image. The strange thing is that this apparently works for bowerbirds, but my wife doesn't seem at all as impressed!

/Toni

No comments:

Post a Comment