Thursday 22 May 2014

Street food?

I recently met Dieter, a German friend, triathlete, cool guy and colleague, in Korea. We talked cycling in a brilliant pub called  the "Fuzzy Navel", which in about three days managed to become our local. He mentioned a fitness/sports nutrition company that works alot with cyclists in Germany and Switzerland called Jentschura and suggested that they could send me some samples of their food and drink to see whether they would suit me on long rides.

What is cool about them is that they not only work with high energy products, but base it all on a theory, or maybe even philosophy, of maintaining an alkaline ph value in your blood. So a couple of weeks ago a box with different mixes both for porridge and salty dinners ended up at home and I started testing.

I started having the porridge "Morgenstund" for breakfasts in the days before long rides and spiced it with their fruity kernel things. Instead of a coffee or two at work I had their herb tea which apparently has 49 herbs in it which is even more than Jägermeister!

The porridge mix can be made into energy bars as well so of course I tried.

Home made energy for the road.
 
And? Well the last long ride I felt really tired on was Södertälje 300 km, after that I started with this food and the following two rides felt awesome :-) As a scientist that's conclusive evidence, isn't it? No, I'm not convinced that this new dietry tangent was the reason for my form - but this food definitely doesn't seem to be a problem for me. It's nice alternating the normal, sweet, energy gels, bars and drinks with something a bit more "real" anyway! I still have to try the salty dinner options though.
 
What I haven't quite worked out is a clever way to wrap those energy bars so that they're easy to open while riding. Any ideas?
 
It's fun trying different things like this while trying to optimise all aspects of long, hard rides! In a few days I should be able to ride my first km's on the new bike as well. Yippeee!
 
/Toni


No comments:

Post a Comment