Sunday 2 March 2014

"Sportlov"
OK - I know you've all been sitting there nervously and were about to call Interpol to search for me after a week's silence! The reason has been the brilliant Swedish system of having a week school holiday in February called "sportlov" with the intention of allowing children some time for wintersports.

I think we can survive this for a week

We made the most of this and spent a week in Molveno, Italy together with some friends. We skied in Andalo, Paganela and Madonna di Campiglio. I was a bit nervous as the whole family hadn't skied for a whole year, but was surprised and completely excited how well all the children skied. I could ski any slope, any forrest trails, any jumps at any speed I wanted and they all followed behind. Loved it!

I wish they had bigger beers...
 
bigger plates of pasta...
 
and better apres ski food in Italy though :-)

The many years snowplowing, carrying and holding onto children on flat Swedish slopes, sweating, forgetting how to ski myself finally paid off. This week was a perfect pay back for the investment made. The alp-atmosphere, weather, views and altitude made me realise how much I miss this. Hopefully we will have many more chances to repeat this sort of trip!

Some things have apparently changed in the 24 years since my Kitzbühel skiing days:

I'm pretty sure I used to have better control of arms, legs, bum, skis and poles when I was 21. But am proud to still land helicopters at 45.
 
I'm pretty sure I could never walk past these without buying one when I was 21. But am proud to say I managed at 45. 

It was an intense week of activity, travelling, eating and drinking nice Trentino wines. A non-intense week of cycling :-) Luckily we have no scales at home so I can't reveal how many kg I have gone up.

Arrivederci Madonna di Campiglio!

We were back for the weekend and I guess after pushing up my pulse with Monark training sessions both yesterday and today I am more or less back on track.

Its time for spring now. Time to get out on some longer, harder rides. Time to get the racer out.

/Toni



No comments:

Post a Comment