Tuesday 21 January 2014


Dreamtime     
In Australia the aborigines talk of the long time ago, old legends of sky fighting against earth, animals being invented and long walkabouts sort of time as the dreamtime. Sitting here in the cold, Swedish winter I’ve found myself slipping into an Australian dreamtime the last few days.

The Tour Down Under is on in South Australia at the moment and that reminds me of the summer trips to Australia that my family, my bike and I have made in the last few years with brilliant, sunny riding in fantastic scenery.

 
Along the Coastal Drive north of Wollongong

On Mt. Keira, looking out over the northern suburbs
On one of these trips my sister lived in Adelaide so we visited at the same time the TdU was on and I got to ride the people’s ride, where one of the stages is open to recreational riders who can then wait at the finish for the pros to turn up a bit later. Right now, reading about the race with Simon Gerrans, Cadel Evans, Caleb Ewan (watch out for this young talent!) and the others, brings back these memories. They are racing in the Barossa Valley, up Mengler’s Hill and the other roads I had the chance to ride on. It will be exciting to see who takes out the TdU this year; the field is perhaps the highest class international field ever.
I’m dreaming of long, warm rides through eucalyptus bush, with aweinspiring views over valleys and dams, of rolling farms landscape and steep passes up the Illawarra escarpment. Of Bulli Beach swims with my family and parents after early morning rides…

Somehow the cramps I got due to it being too hot don’t seem a problem when looking out the window into the dark with the thermometer on -5.

It’s a nice dream.

/Toni

No comments:

Post a Comment