Saturday 1 February 2014

Fate

I have for a few weeks planned a longer distance training ride today. About 150 km, slow and with comfortable food stops on the way. So I spent some time yesterday getting the Klein ready, changing brakepads, getting rid of all the salt and sand from the gears and chain and fixing a puncture that had turned up "overnight". When I checked what the cause of the puncture was I realised that some spikes from the  rear tyre had been pushed through and were scraping on the innertube. I don't have spare spiked tyres at home so that was the end of my distance plans for today.

There's something missing there...

The tyres are Nokia W106 and they've gone at least 3000 winterkilometers so it's maybe not surprising that this starts happening. I immediately ordered the same ones again over the internet. 

When I looked out this morning this is what the road looked like:

Did I really want to spend 8 hours riding in this?

Images rose of the wagon slowly being pulled through snow up to the axels in John William's "Butcher's Crossing". But there there were oxen pulling, I only have my own two small legs.

I think fate was trying to tell me something.

Instead I'll do some long intervals on the Monark now, watching cross country skiing on TV. Then go to a football tournament with my son.Tonight I'll make pizzas which we'll eat with some friends while planning a skiing trip in Italy in a few weeks. Fate was quite OK today; it seems like it will be a fine day anyway :-)

/Toni

No comments:

Post a Comment