Sunday 9 February 2014

Distance

I've been getting my body used to slightly heavier loading after weeks of training mainly around threshold levels. So yesterday I tried 4 minute intervals at 350W, not extremely high, but tough enough for me. Managed 3 good intervals but got beaten in the last one. Its not out of reach though and I'm looking forward to pushing to higher loads before spring.

This morning I was up at 5.30, all my clothes and bike ready for a calm 90 km distance round. Skulled a quick coffee and threw down a small bowl of müsli. I saw that it was a bit colder than expected (1 degree), so I put on a warmer jacket than planned and went out. And it was raining.

Now I don't mind rain. Some of my favorite rides have been in rain. But at 5.45 on a Sunday morning, unexpecteldy and around about the freezing point, it just hit me. Curling up in the sofa suddenly seemed like a far more attractive alternative... Difficult, these mornings. If it is a ride planned with others the possibilities for cancelling are more limited. Even by myself I don't normally just quit. But, as I've written a few times now I haven't quite got the right feeling at the moment and have to work on that. 

Anyway, I wasn't only lazy. An hour later I jumped up and onto the Monark and tried to increase the load at which I can do longer intervals (i.e. presumably something around my functional power threshold, FPT). So I rattled off a series of 15, 12, 9 minutes @300W and was quite satisfied. Maybe 2x20 @ 300W will happen soon.
Still feeling a bit cocky
 
Beaten
 
If I followed these instructions I'd need an in-house physician

A funny thing with Monark-training is that the gps thinks the Monark is riding around in Skogås. According to the Garmin, I rode a whole 327 m today.

Now, that's what I call distance!

/Toni

1 comment: