Sunday 27 December 2015

Let it snow


I felt pretty dejected all day after having missed http://vintervattern.se , an inaugural winter edition of Vätternrundan limited to 50 starters. I would have loved to test the new Bianchi on this ride - but work and family priorities the last few weeks have meant I couldn't get the logistics worked out in time. Pictures from today showing magical snowy winter weather on their ride haven't helped. Although I'm glad they have such brilliant (tough) conditions!

After a few hassles changing to studded tyres on the Bianchi cross, and the fact that the same snow storm had made it to Stockholm, I managed to find a couple of hours this afternoon to at least have a short personal winter adventure. A good opportunity to not only gently roll in the studded tyres (what DO they actually mean by that?!), but also to test battery times for my lights, new Zanier superduper electronically warmed gloves and overkill Bontrager wintershoes.

Say what you want, but the reflexes on the new tyres sure do their job!

My cockpit and view for a couple of hours: on the left one new glove (lowest level was fine for snowstorm and -3 degrees), Dinotte light on the right. Psychadelic snowflakes in front.

After 60 km I got randonneur petrol station withdrawal symptoms and stopped for some light beers in Skogås. As accompaniment for the sauna at home.

It ended up a great winter wonderlandy sort of ride, but in the worst of the storm out on quiet roads on Södertörn, I sort of understood the cars tooting at me trying to tell me there were probably safer things to be doing this evening.

Ride safe and careful everybody on the Vintervättern!


/Toni

No comments:

Post a Comment