Thursday 23 January 2014

Where I’m going

Part I: 2014

OK, I didn’t start a blog to write about the past. So I thought I’d write down what’s buzzing around my mind for the future. Then you can laugh at me when I afterwards summarise how much of this actually happened. I like a laugh J

Well, sorry, even my future starts in the past: For me 2014 started on the 20 December 2013 with the 3rd Ötzi XL, 315 km in not really winter weather, but good fun anyway.
“Fun”, Michel, Peter and Per recharging in Köping after about half of Ötzi XL 2013

This was quickly followed by KBCK’s 200 km brevet the 4th January. So,over the two week Christmas break I managed to collect over 700 km winter riding. Together with some solo rides, intervals while riding to/from work and training indoors on my Monark (which I’m sure you’ll hear more about another time), I think, or maybe hope, I’ve had a pretty solid training start to 2014.
I have one major goal and two major but less certain goals this year.

The major one is Sverigetempot  (my Sverigetempot 2012). Jonas and I completed this in the fastest time in 2012. So of course, boys will be boys, I have to defend this! Just to be cocky, I contacted Peter Toner to ask if I could have number 1 in 2014. He couldn’t guarantee this, as the system dictated that the first to register would get nr 1. So I was forced to stay up alone, drinking wine, in the middle of the week and stay awake (I usually go to bed quite early) to register at exactly midnight on the 1st November. Childishly pathetic of course – but I did get nr 1 (startlist) J It looks like Sverigetempot this year will be a qualifying ride for Paris-Brest-Paris 2015, which would be great, because I wouldn’t have to worry or think about how to qualify with other rides.
Peter has divided up the start groups and I am in the last one, at 9.00 am on the 26th June. There are already over 40 registered, which is crazy for a ride of over 2000 km! Most of it on the same road through the same-looking forest; just look at it on a map! I think having the successful 2012 ride in fresh memory helps me a lot psychologically, and I am really looking forward to 2014. I wonder if that is pathologic? I’ll see if I can find some fun way of keeping you updated during the ride here.

Jonas and I, happy to have made it, 2012
I have decided against riding Vätternrundan this year to bash into my head that I should concentrate on long distance, mentally exhausting (in Swedish “pannben”)  training. So I am doing as much distance as possible already now and will leave harder, more VO2 maxish and faster training until closer to spring. I’ll hopefully be able to train with the Conti Test Team a few times – if they let me and if I can keep up!

The fast boys from CTT
Foto: Natasja Jovic, Hillside Cycling

 
My aim for Sverigetempot is under 100 hours. I don’t have much choice really, because I have to be home for my daughter’s birthday on the 2nd July and a day later I have a flight to the USA booked…

As with Sverigetempot, my two more wishy-washy 2014 goals are also organized by Peter and CK Distans. The first is the first Ultra event to be held in Sweden; 610 km solo but with an accompanying car. This would be a great first try at ultra-cycling! It also fits in well with our summer holiday plans because the route is located around the summer house near Hällefors where we spend a lot of time. So my family could come out onto the road and cheer me on TWICE during the ride, which would be very cool. If they are even interested in seeing a slowly riding, ghostly looking, brain-dead pappa glide past. Presumably at night. Probably in the rain.

The other maybe-goal in 2014: I’ve ridden the Stockholm – Göteborg event (about 560 km) twice. This year Peter’s gone completely wild and crazy and decided to include a Stockholm – Göteborg – Stockholm option. He’s threatened to only have this much fun once though (its some sort of jubilee year, which I haven’t got track of), which means I’d quite like to take the chance and join in. The good part about this cunning plan is that it solves the problem of how to get back home after riding all the way to Göteborg.

So, that’s them. I’ll also make sure I get a few normal brevet rides in. Especially seeing that KBCK has its inaugural complete series this year. KBCK has revolutionised Swedish randonneur cycling with its brevet series which is planned so that the first finishers should always finish at Lilla Barkarby roughly when the bar opens.

If all goes to plan the year will once again conclude with an ice-cold Ötzi XL and then some summer rides in Australia! Wihee!
Where I'd like to ride at the end of the year...

2014 could be good!
/Toni

 

No comments:

Post a Comment