Thursday 30 January 2014

Where I’m (maybe) going

Part III: 2016

Well, 2016 is a long way away so alot can happen. But I have a longterm goal (or is it a dream?) to ride the Race Across America About 5000 non-stop kilometers, solo with a support crew across the USA! In my age category this distance has to be completed in under 12 Days. Tough.

I have been inspired to do this from two perspectives: 1. was when Gunnar Ohlander rode it in 2012 and it was just incredible to follow his feat and has been incredible talking to him about it since then and 2. was when I realised after Sverigetempot 2012 that maybe I would be capable of actually doing this.

RAAM requires alot more than just being able to ride long. There are daunting logistics involved to qualify, sort out a team to drive support car(s) (at 30km/h for nearly 2 weeks...), pay for the registration fee, pay for everything else, sort out the actual trip for everyone involved, carry on with a full-time job at the same time and so on.

So alot still has to work out before 2016. Some preliminary fishing for indications of support has already shown that I may have support to pay theregistration fee, KBCK may assist with cre members I may get bike support from Markus at Alviks Cykel and Jan at Norvelo in Stockholm. However, before anything concrete is planned all parties want to wait and see how the lead up goes first. We all want to see if Sverigetempot 2014 is a success and if my body holds. That would give a good indication of how realistic my BIG 2016 goal is...

But, now this is on internet so I better do the best I can!

/Toni




No comments:

Post a Comment