Friday 13 June 2014

Others that are longer and harder.

As always, I am anticipatorially excited about the Södertälje 600 km ride starting early tomorrow morning. New pedals on the bike, the USB port for charging phone/GPS is working, the route is downloaded into the GPS and good weather has been organised :-) Now I am eating non-stop and drinking ridiculous amounts of water to get ready.

A picture of the old Pearl, showing The Plug. Powered by the hub-dynamo in the front wheel.

But somehow this 600 km ride also feels a little pathetic in relation to other rides. Race Around America has started and the leader, Christoph Strasser has already ridden about 1760 km at an average of 32 km/h. Solo. And that's not moving average - completely mad! The race is nearly 5000 km. Now that's long. Live coverage here

Also, Vätternrundan is tomorrow, and although it's only 300 km and many thousands will easily manage it, the group (Conti Test Team) I used to ride it with are looking in top form and will almost certainly come in under 7 hours this year. That means an average speed of about 43 km/h. For 7 hours. Now that's hard. I will hopefully be able to follow them a bit during the day. You can read more about them here I am sure there will also be some live comments during the ride on happymtb

So a pathetic 600 km, riding with friends, at a pathetic speed of maybe not even 30 km/h moving average seems pretty, well, pathetic. I will be tweeting though, in case you're not too busy following real long and hard cyclists. Follow me on: @kitzblitz, #Sodertalje600 (one day I'll work out how to link to the tweets here on the blogg :-))

It will be fun though! And I wish all CTT riders and participants in RAAM all the best and a safe ride!

/Toni


No comments:

Post a Comment